Tuesday, April 28, 2009

My Little Man is Color Blind

AHHHHH....what a story. Last Thursday afternoon I brought Jacob and Allyse to the eye doctor for their first "official" eye check up. Although they have had eye exams at school....my eye doctor really wanted to check them being that both Mike and I wear glasses. She also wanted to make sure their eye's were healthy. So last year Mike added them to our Vision Plan. As you may know Jacob had a beautiful black eye around 3-4 weeks ago. And I though now would be a good time to do it :)

While Jacob was in the chair she pulled out a white card and I asked her if it was the "color blind test"....she turned around and said..."no, why". I told her that my dad was color blind...and she said "your kidding". So she went to the other room to get the book for the color blind test. After about 4 mins or so...she turned to me and said...he is definitely color blind. I have seen the test before and I heard him saying..."nothing, nothing" and I know most of the test is numbers...so I was getting nervous. The doctor explained to me how is gets passed down. My dad is color blind, which means my grandmother (his mom) passed it down to him but the mother is usually NOT color blind, and then passes that gene onto the son....and so on.

So since last Thursday I have been testing him on everything..."what's the color of this" "what color is my shirt". He has gotten everything right! I have been trying to prove her wrong. Last night I pulled up a website and did some research and had Jacob try the test again....and well....he failed!!!! He didn't see the numbers or shapes at all. He tried really hard and sometimes he was close to the number...but mostly he would just stare at it :(
The test said for the person to say the number or object in 3 seconds...and Allyse was standing right next to me and would say the numbers in my ear...she saw them right away...as for Jacob...he was clueless.

A mother has to try......

No comments: